Worship services will be held at their normal times of 8:15 and 10:45 AM this Sunday, September 2. Please note there will be no Christian Education classes and no Children’s Chapel held on September 2.
Parish Office Closed
The Parish Office will be closed in observance of Labor Day on Monday, September 3.
Bowl Painting This Wednesday
Most Wednesdays during the church school year, beginning September 5, our Grace Church family will gather for food and fellowship.
Opportunities for learning will sometimes follow the meal. On September 5 we will paint bowls in support of the Georgia Mountain Food Bank’s Empty Bowl Luncheon.* This is a fun and creative outreach event for the whole family and all are welcome! Beginning September 12, Michael McCann will lead a three week study entitled, “Strange Ancestors and Crazy Uncle Charlie at Thanksgiving.”
Menu September 5
Fried Chicken, Mac & Cheese, Southern Style Green Beans, Salad, Rolls, Pound Cake w/assorted toppings
Vegetarian: Spaghetti with Marinara
Child: 1/2 portion regular or PB&J sandwich, cookies
Meal reservations are typically due by 12:00 PM each Monday. Since the parish office will be closed on September 3, please make a reservation for our first meal no later than 10:00 AM on Tuesday, September 4. Sign up online, at the information station, or call the church office. If you make a reservation and do not attend, you will still be asked to pay for the meal that is ordered for you. Thank you for understanding.
Childcare is available for families participating in Wednesday evening activities, beginning with nursery for siblings of choristers at 4:45 PM. Reservations are required and can be made on the same form as meal reservations.
Cost & Payment
Adult meals are $10/each and youth meals (grades 6-12) are $5/each. There is no charge for children 5th grade and under.
Payment may be made at each dinner or (new this year!) online. When paying online, choose check or credit card, select “Meal” from the payment type drop down menu and in the description box specify the date(s) of the meal(s) you have reserved. (Don’t forget to first submit a meal reservation form.)
*The Empty Bowl Luncheon is September 25 from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM (drop-in) at First Baptist Church.
As many of you may know, a major redesign of our website is in progress! A photographer will be at Grace Church on Wednesday, September 5 and on Sunday, September 23 to capture images for the new site.
We believe that photography and video recordings are an important visual representation of the worship, fellowship, service, and formation that helps shape our community. So it has been, and will continue to be, our practice to regularly include photos/videos on our website, blog, and social media sites. We are excited about the opportunity to feature professional photography on our new site. If you are at Grace Church on September 5 and 23 you and/or your child(ren) may appear in those photos! Per our existing photo use policy, people will not be identified by name so for those two dates only we ask that you NOT wear your nametags.
Please email Jennifer Williams with any questions or concerns.
The next Food Pantry rotation for Grace Church is coming up soon. Items that have not been available through the Atlanta Food Bank and are needed for this rotation include: spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, cans of fruit, jelly, soup, and laundry detergent (42-46 ounce works best). Please know it is not necessary to purchase every item on the list. All donations are greatly appreciated. Please return food items by Thursday, September 6.
Alan Morrison Concert
Alan Morrison is recognized as one of America’s premier concert organists and enjoys a versatile career as organist, teacher, recording artist, adjudicator and pianist/chamber musician. His concert performances throughout North America, South America, Europe and Russia have all been received with enthusiastic praise for his quality programming, colorful use of the organ and interpretive integrity.
Morrison will give a concert at Grace Church on Saturday, September 8 at 7:30 PM. Admission is free. A festive reception will follow in the parish hall.
Join a Choir
Choir rehearsals are getting back underway, with the parish choir beginning last week, and our children’s and bell choirs beginning this week. If you are interested in learning more about any of our groups, please contact Will Gotmer, our Director of Music and Organist.
- St. Cecilia Choir Open to all kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade children, this choir is designed to teach our younger children the foundational skills of choral singing in worship. Learning songs primary by rote, they sing in worship 6-8 times per year. The curriculum for the St. Cecilia Choir is based on the introductory RSCM VOICE for LIFE program to help build their vocal skills and musical understanding.
Weekly rehearsals are Wednesdays from 5:00-5:45 PM.
- Choristers All 3rd-8th grade children are welcome to join the Grace Church Choristers program. The Chorister program provides a free and professional music education to our choristers; through rehearsals and worship services they gain valuable spiritual development and learn about their faith through liturgy and music. Choristers sing in worship approximately twice per month and have the opportunity to attend RSCM Summer Camps.
Weekly rehearsals are Wednesday from 5:00-6:00 PM.
- Parish Choir The Parish Choir is the foundation of our music program and open to adults and high-school youth. This group learns a variety of choral literature and is dedicated to excellent leadership of our worship at Grace. In addition to singing for regular Sunday services, our Parish Choir participates in special liturgies and programs throughout the year. Membership is open to all with previous musical experience who can commitment to regular rehearsals and services.
Weekly rehearsals are Wednesdays from 7:00–9:00 PM and Sundays 9:45–10:30 AM.
- Creation Ringers Bell Choir Our handbell ringers ring three octaves of bells and two octaves of chimes to provide offerings in worship on a regular basis. All adults and youth (6th grade and up) are welcome to join. Membership is open to all; previous musical experience is helpful but is not required. Time commitment to both rehearsals and services is important.
Weekly rehearsals are Thursdays from 6:30–8:00 PM.
The next episode of SacrisTea Talk goes live on Fr. Stuart’s Facebook page on Friday, September 7 at 10:00 AM! (You can view past episodes on his blog.) The Rev. Mary Demmler will be our special guest!
Lost and Found
Our lost and found is overflowing with many items which have been left at Grace. These items include jewelry, clothing, umbrellas, dishes and toys. The next two Sundays we will have a lost and found table set up in the hallway across from the information station. Please take a look and take home anything that belongs to you. After Sunday, September 9 any items left will be donated.
Holy Smoke! Youth Auction & Raffle
Our Holy Smoke fundraiser returns to Grace Church on September 29 at 5:30 PM. Join us for an evening of fellowship, feasting and fun, with all proceeds benefiting our youth program at Grace Church.
Dinner and raffle tickets on sale now from all youth in the program, in the greeting area between services on Sundays, in the parish office during business hours and also online!
Visit the Holy Smoke web page for complete details!
- September 9: Doughn-It Feel Good to Be At Grace
- September 9: Foyers Reunion Dinner
- September 12: Strange Ancestors and Crazy Uncle Charlie at Thanksgiving
- September 14: Movie Night
- September 15: Contemplative Reformation Workshop I: Practice
- September 16: Feast of the Holy Cross
- September 29: Holy Smoke! Youth Pig Roast Fundraiser
- Full Calendar of Events
This blog post highlights some events and news pertinent to the upcoming week. The primary source of information about what’s happening at Grace Church is our weekly newsletter – for full news and events please subscribe to the e-vangelist